The RAF Association runs two sheltered housing complexes and the RAF Association (Housing) runs one. The accommodation is either self-contained flats or bungalows with some communal facilities. The sheltered housing is for those of retirement age who wish to retain their independence and, while able to care for themselves and their home, require minimal support.
This support is provided by a warden and backed up by a care-call alarm system.
All ex-RAF personnel and their spouses may apply. Priorities are determined by a selection committee.
- Dowding House opened in 1988 and consists of 26 self-contained apartments (11 doubles and 15 singles)
- The accommodation comprises of a lounge, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom
- Apartments are unfurnished apart from: carpets, curtains, refrigerator and electric cooker
- Warden available 8.00am – 12.30pm and 1.00pm – 4.00pm Monday to Friday
- There is also a communal lounge, conservatory and launderette
- There is a call system in place
Dowding House is shown in the image at the top of this page
Lord Tedder Court – Rothbury
- Lord Tedder Court is located adjacent to the RAF Association’s respite short break home, Rothbury House
- Flats are built in the home’s former stable block in the historic town of Rothbury
- Lord Tedder Court provides six one-bedroom and four two-bedroom flats
- Each flat also includes a lounge, kitchen, bathroom (with shower)
- There is a care-call alarm system in place
- Residents may benefit from some of the communal aspects provided by Rothbury House such as the front lounge and bar
- Water rates and gas heating charges are included in the service charge
- Residents are responsible for electricity charges and council tax
Storrington, West Sussex
- 32 self-contained flats in four blocks
- Each flat has its own front door at ground level (no flat has stairs)
- Flats comprise of kitchen, lounge, bathroom and double bedroom
- They are unfurnished apart from carpets, electric cooker and refrigerator
- Resident warden is on-site and there is also a care call alarm system
For further information on the Storrington Sheltered Housing scheme please contact the Storrington Warden , Julia Newton on 01903 744 701.
If you would like further information regarding Lord Tedder Court or Dowding House contact the Welfare Administrator, James Early on 0116 268 8751 or email us.