Organising an RAF Funeral
Advice on arranging a special funeral
Here are some answers to the questions you may have if you are planning a funeral for someone who served in the RAF and you would like to honour the person’s service as part of the funeral:
- The Royal Air Forces Ensign is only flown at an operational station and is not allowed to be used to drape a coffin.
- A Union Flag can be used as a coffin drape.
- A RAF Association coffin drape may be available through your Area office, please contact them to find out.
- The RAF Badge symbol is only to be used on a headstone for serving personnel where the government is responsible for the maintenance of the stone.
- We are unable to provide a Guard of honour. However, a request can be made by the family for a Royal Air Force representative through their local Station Warrant Officer who, where circumstances allow, will do their best to arrange one.
- A request for a trumpeter, if available, may be made through your local RAF Association branch or Area office.
- During a funeral, some members and their loved ones would like collection envelopes to support the Association at this difficult time. If you wish us to provide you with the official RAF Association collection envelopes please contact our memoriam department on 0116 268 8791 or email our Legacy and In Memoriam Manager Vinny Manak.
Thank you for thinking of us during this sad time.
Special readings and prayers
There is a number of readings, poems and prayers associated with the RAF. Click here to view and download a text document that has some of the most requested readings, hymns and prayers written out in full.