Registration of citizen of the UK in CYPRUS (until the end of the EU Withdrawal Transition period, BREXIT) MEU 1 and MEU 3 (Yellow Slip)

If you are UK national, you can apply for a Certificate of Registration to reside in Cyprus; this is called an MEU 1. This is a document which confirms your right of residence in Cyprus under European law.

During the first 3 months of your stay in Cyprus, you are not required to register (to obtain a document confirming your right to stay) but can do so if you wish.

After 3 months living in Cyprus, you are required to register with the immigration department in your city to obtain a Certificate of Registration MEU 1.

An MEU 1 only confirms your right to reside in Cyprus and is not a general right of abode anywhere in the European Economic Area (EEA).

To obtain your Certificate of Registration MEU 1, you will need the following documents:

Employees / Postings abroad

 Valid identity card or passport

 Certificate of employment or confirmation of recruitment from your employer

 EHIC or proof of health insurance

 2 passport sized photographs


 Valid identity card or passport

 Proof of your status as self-employed ie Certificate of Registration to the Social Security’s Services as self-employed.

 EHIC or proof of health insurance


 Valid identity card or passport

 Proof of health insurance

 Proof you can support yourself without needing income support

You do not need to provide any other documents.

The Procedure

1. Make an appointment to apply for MEU1 with your local immigration department

2. Complete the application form for MEU1 available for download at B/$file/%CE%91%CE%99%CE%A4%CE%97%CE%A3%CE%97-FORM%20MEU1.doc

3. At the immigration interview, you will be required to provide the necessary documents

4. Pay €20 per person.

5. Your Certificate of Registration MEU 1 should be issued fairly quickly. The MEU 1 (known colloquially in Cyprus as a ‘Yellow slip’) confirms your right to live in Cyprus; it states your name and address and the registration date. It should be valid indefinitely (does not have to be renewed) though you may need to report any change of address to the local authorities.

If you do not register, you may be fined for not doing so but may continue to live in the country and cannot be expelled just for this.

Do you need to apply? Under European law, you do not need to obtain documentation confirming your right of residence in another EU Country if you are a national of a country in the EEA. However, in Cyprus, you are required to register for an MEU1 after 3 months of residence.

If you are a UK national and have not applied for an MEU 1 before 28th March 2019, then you may be required to follow a different procedure.

Certificate of Permanent Residence MEU 3 When you have lived in Cyprus for a continuous period of 5 years in accordance with the European regulations, you can apply for a document certifying permanent residence.

The Certificate of Permanent Residence (MEU 3) is different from the Registration Certificate MEU 1 which is compulsory in Cyprus. The Certificate of Permanent Residence MEU 3 is not compulsory. It confirms your right to live in Cyprus permanently, without any conditions. It also confirms your right to reside in Cyprus under predetermined conditions after the UK withdrawals from the EU.

This means that the authorities may no longer require you to prove that you have a job, sufficient resources, health insurance, and so on. It also guarantees that you will retain


The following is a report put together by the Branch Membership Secretary, who attended a Brexit Seminar on the 20th September, headed by Christina Smith, Vice Consul, British High Commission, if you have any queries please contact Anne Higgs:

  1. You must legalise your residency status. If you have been resident in Cyprus for more than 90 days, and it is your intention to remain a resident in Cyprus, you MUST obtain a MEU1.  After 5 years, and you have a MEU1, you can apply for a MEU3.  The MEU3 gives you equal treatment with the nationals of that member state.  There is a fine of €5,000 if you do not apply for this.  You lose equal treatment if you have been out of Cyprus for 2 continuous years.
  1. You can apply for a Cypriot passport (EU) after you have lived in Cyprus for 7 years & you have legal residency. You can still hold a UK passport.
  1. The Alien Record Cards are now illegal but you can get them changed for a MEU1 but you still have to provide all the necessary paperwork at a cost of €20 each.


  1. No changes in taxation to Cyprus residents.
  2. The double taxation agreement will continue.
  3. Pensions will be increased annually as in UK
  4. Income below €19,500 you pay no tax. For pensioners you pay 5% tax.
  5. If you exceed an income of 19,500 you are taxed from €3,420
  6. You are taxed on interest at 30%, dividends 17% & rental income 3% (after deductions)
  7. It is likely that after Brexit if you want to import a car into Cyprus you will have to pay VAT, import duty & emissions tax.


  1. Ruled by domicile.
  2. Includes your worldwide assets.
  3. The nil band is £325,000 or £650,000 for married couples.
  4. No inheritance tax if you leave everything to your spouse.
  5. IHT must be paid first before Probate is granted.
  6. To prove domicile look on-line for questions your Executors will be asked under Oath. It is a 4 page document!


  1. Acquire a domicile overseas (some countries do not allow)
  2. Establish overseas residence (you must have spent at least 3 years overseas).
  3. Establish roots in new country ie. maintain local bank account not UK
  4. You have no intention of returning to the UK


  1. Ex-pats think they are no longer UK domiciled once they live overseas but have not severed ALL links with the UK.
  2. Only taxed on UK assets. No, you are taxed on worldwide assets.
  3. No longer subject to UK taxes. No not true.
  4. Spouse can sign on their behalf after death.  No you have to apply to the Courts first.
  5. You must have separate Wills for the UK & the country where you live and they must link to each other. Also applies for Power of Attorney.


  1. It is illegal to use UK EHIC card in Cyprus if you live here.
  2. From April 2016 if you are retired and hold an S1 you can receive treatment in the UK.


  1. Title Deed means ownership of land & property
  2. Buyers may ask sellers for a Certificate of Ownership (obtained from Land Registry).
  3. Planning, Building Permits and Certificate of Completion needed when selling.
  4. Use an independent lawyer
  5. Ensure there is a written Contract of Sale which is lodged with the Land Registry.
  6. 20% CGT on net profit of sale.
  7. Obtain 30% of purchase price as a down payment if you are selling.


  1. Ensure you have a Cyprus Will
  2. If you are married ensue you own all assets jointly
  3. Have a joint bank account.
  4. Have your investments in joint names or in a Trust.
  5. Have your car in joint names

All Members 

At our Branch Committee Meeting on the 27th July, 2017, it was agreed, that from that date onwards the Criminal Record Check (CRC) for existing and new members applying for Station Passes would be met by the Branch.  Bring your receipt to the next social event and the Treasurer will refund your payment.


The RAF Association is here to help the RAF family with welfare through charitable means for all serving and former members of our armed forces, their spouses and dependants together with the widows of those that have died whilst serving or subsequently.
Eligibility is not dependant on membership of RAFA, the welfare support is based on ‘One  day’s Service and one day’s pay’
The main types of assistance provided for individuals who are in need from financial distress, disability, sickness and loneliness are friendship, support, practical and financial help. We try to ensure that their sacrifice does not result in suffering, poverty or loneliness for any member of the RAFA family
Disability Aids are available on loan from the Aphrodite Branch for eligible residents living in Cyprus or eligible visitors to the Island. They include wheelchairs, commodes, bath aids, raised toilet seats, walking frames, crutches and tripod walking sticks
For further information on a loans for aids, any welfare matters, or a friendly chat, all in confidence please contact:

Mrs Wendy Phillips  –  Welfare Officer  Aphrodite Branch Cyprus

Telephone no:   99057482  or email


Following a recent meeting the British High Commission when invited guests discussed the developments on Brexit and other work of the British High Commission; there was very little to say about the latest position regarding Brexit, as the UK Government is not presently in a position to give out information, therefore anything in the media should only be viewed as speculation.  However, their main concern was the number of expats living on the island, especially those who arrived before its accession to the EU (2004) who were issued with an Alien Registration Card; anyone in this situation should have it converted into an MEU1 (yellow slip), otherwise, not only could they be running the risk of prosecution it could also affect anyone wishing to renew their medical cards.


Here is the link to the Cyprus Government’s portal regarding Form MEU1:


You may interested in the following website link for “ECREU” which stands for “Expat Citizen Rights in the EU”; it was forwarded to me by Terry Dennett, the Secretary of RAFA’s Sud-Ouest France Branch: . Also on this website is UK Citizens in Europe: Towards an Alternative White Paper. If you google the UK citizens bit you can view the document.

Station Visits

The Aphrodite Branch Royal Air Forces Association has no input with regards to RAF Akrotiri Station Visits. Any RAFA member without a station pass wishing to attend a RAFA branch social event on RAF Akrotiri should contact any member of the committee.

New driving licence rules mean you may need a code to hire a car from the 8th June, 2015.

If you still drive using your UK licence from the 8th June, 2015, new rules mean if you are hiring a car, they mayask you for a DVLA code to check for endorsements etc.  Once you request the code online or by telephone from the DVLA, it is only valid for 21 days so your timing is very important; details below:

From 8 June, new rules mean you need to request a personal code from the DVLA up to 21 days before picking up a car either in the UK or abroad. This is so hire firms can check for points, as paper licences are being scrapped for photo card holders. You may not be asked, but to be safe ensure you get one in advance.

You can read full details of the driving licence changes in the DVLA warning news story.

To get a code, you’ll need to request one from DVLA via or by calling 0300 790 6801.

You will need to provide your driving licence number found on your photo card or on your paper driving licence for paper-only motorists, national insurance number and the postcode on your driving licence.

Give this code to the rental desk when you pick up your car – it effectively gives the company temporary access to your licence info. But, annoyingly, the code only lasts for 21 days before expiring, so make sure you don’t request it too early.

You’ll also be able to download a PDF of your licence, which will be worth taking as a precaution – though you will still need the code. Not all car hire companies currently request to see the paper part of your licence, so may not ask for the code either, but don’t take the risk – get a code just in case.

Some driving organisations such as the AA are also advising motorists to take the paper counterpart of their photo card licence with them too just in case there are any problems. It’s also warning drivers who want to hire a car abroad to be extra cautious as overseas car hire firms, or even traffic police abroad, may not be aware of the changes and may demand to see your paper licence.”

NHS care for UK state Pensioners Who Live Elsewhere in the EEA 

The issue regarding the change in the ruling that applies to all pensioners who receive a UK state retirement pension and registered for healthcare in Europe with an S1 form, which now allows UK state pensioners who live elsewhere in the EEA the same rights to NHS care as people who live in England is still being looked into for us by Zoe Woodward at the British High Commission in Nicosia, in the meantime up to date details can be found at the UK Governments portal: 

Other UK Government portals useful to members living in Southern Cyprus are:

If you would like to receive crisis alerts the go to:

Renewing UK Passports:

Obtaining Visas:

For travel advice:  (type at the end any country you want information on)